Christmas Season is upon us! We want to share a few helpful tips to get you and your dog safely through this holiday season! The holidays may be a scary time for some pups. Christmas revelry can cause anxiety and fearfulness for dogs who haven’t experienced it. The following tips may help you avoid an emergency visit to the vet office over the holiday season.
If you have a dog that is fearful of people or small children and you plan on having a big gathering it may be best not to force your puppy or dog into a situation that makes them uncomfortable. Instead, before your guests arrive exercise your dog and make them comfy in their crate with a yummy Kong or marrow bone to keep them occupied. Turn on some sounds like music or a TV to drown out all the noise. If you have a dog that loves being around groups of people and small children, still be mindful to keep your eye on them to assure they do not get into something harmful. Maybe consider having them come out and visit with everyone then go have some crate time with their Kong.
Some holiday plants are Actually poisonous and can cause a medical issue here are some of the most common:
• Christmas tree pine needles can produce oral irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, trembling and posterior weakness.
• Holly, commonly found during the Christmas season, can cause intense vomiting, diarrhea.
• Mistletoe, another Christmas plant, can cause significant vomiting and diarrhea, difficulty breathing, collapse, erratic behavior, hallucinations and death when ingested.
• Poinsettia contrary to popular belief, is not deadly; however, it can cause irritation to the mouth and stomach and sometimes vomiting.
With the holiday season come all kinds of yummy treats and food. Be sure to avoid giving your dog food scraps from the table or your plate. If you must share your holiday dinner consider just a small amount given in the dogs bowl to avoid any unwanted behavior or upset tummies.
Here are a few foods and treats to avoid:
• Fat trimmings and bones are dangerous for pets. Fat trimmed from meat, both cooked and uncooked, may cause pancreatitis. And, although it seems natural to give a dog a bone, cooked bone are dangerous, these can also splinter and cause an obstruction or lacerations of your dog’s digestive system.
• Chocolate can be dangerous and contains various levels of fat, caffeine, the darker and richer the chocolate (baker’s chocolate), the higher the risk of toxicity. Depending on the type and amount of chocolate ingested, dogs might experience vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity
• Many cookies and candies have certain nuts and should not be given to pets. Almonds, non-moldy walnuts and pistachios can cause an upset stomach or an obstruction of your dog’s throat and/or intestinal tract. Macadamia nuts and moldy walnuts can be toxic, causing seizures or neurological signs. Lethargy, vomiting and loss of muscle control are among the effects of nut ingestion.
Holiday tinsel and ornaments can also be hazardous:
Tinsel, while not toxic, is very attractive to pets, particularly cats but dogs love it too. The shiny, dangling decoration reflects light and can move in the slightest draft — appearing to come alive to watchful critters. The problem with tinsel is that once it’s consumed, it can cause serious injury to your pet. If not caught in time, this foreign body ingestion could actually be fatal as it twists and bunches inside your pet’s intestines. Immediate veterinary care is required.
Vet offices see a increase in emergency visits during the holiday due to dogs getting into trouble from ingesting items that are harmful or toxic causing it be a not so festive time. Be sure not to risk your dogs health by waiting. If your dog needs emergency care take them quickly to your local emergency clinic.
MedVet: 667 Brevard Road, Asheville NC 28806 • Phone • 828-665-4399
Merry Christmas and a joyous Holiday season to you and yours from all of us here at Kabler School For Dogs!
– Candy Breisacher